Friday, August 14, 2009

Concert at Fenway

On August 6, I was able to see a true legend and pioneer in the music industry. Many ask the question: "What is the greatest band of all time?", and I'm sure most people reach the same conclusion. Yes I'm talking about The Beatles! The Fab Four started back in 1957 and laid claim to America in 1964. The played the Ed Sullivan show of that year, and the world knew they were something special. I was not even a thought in my parents head at that point in time, but I can imagine being in Shea Stadium (home of the New York Mets) on August 15, 1965 at the height of BeatleMania, and hearing the 55,000 fans in attendance going wild. They eventually went from a bubbly pop scene to a type of music they practically created: Art Rock. Many other artist have attempted this style but few shine like the Beatles did. The Beatles eventually split in 1970, and John Lennon and George Harrison have both passed on (the former in 1980 was shot to death, and the latter in 2001 because of Lung Cancer). "Now what is the point of telling The Beatles history?" you may ask. While I may not of seen them, I did see a member of The Beatles at Fenway Park. Sir Paul McCartney, wrote most of The Beatles songs along with John Lennon and was the Bass Player (even though he would play guitar, piano, and ukulele on some tracks. In fact he played drums on the entire White Album.) Yes it was Paul McCartney I saw at Fenway and it was the greatest concert I have seen to date. He played the whole night, without taking one break, came out for an encore, and did a plethora of Beatles songs. It is a tie for my favorite part of the night between Hey Jude and Live and Let Die. At the end of Hey Jude, he managed to get the whole attendance doing the "na na na na" and than split it into sections. My other favorite moment took place during Live and Let Die. He was singing the song: "...makes you give in and cry - da na na - say live and let..." and write as he said "die!" fireworks shot up out of the stadium, alongside huge pyro explosion. It was captivating and happened throughout the song, to keep you on your toes. So this definetly is my favorite concert and that is nothing to sneeze at, I have seen B.B. King, Peter Frampton, and even Bryan Adams and Foreigner together. But this one is tops. All I have to say is: "Keep up the good work Paul, we still love you."

- Telow

No comments:

Post a Comment